If you are being stalked, you can complain to the police or apply for an injunction and damages through a civil court.  

To get in contact with the police, either go to your local police station, or call the non emergency number and make an appointment. It might help to write down what has happened to you and take that with you as well as any questions you may have so that you don’t forget anything you want to include.  

If the stalker is arrested, you can talk to the police about whether bail conditions will be imposed. Bail conditions could, for instance, say that the stalker is not to contact you or approach you. If they breach the bail conditions then bail could be revoked and they could be remanded in prison.  

If the case is prosecuted in a criminal court the stalker could receive a prison sentence and you could be granted a restraining order.  

You can also apply for an injunction against the stalker through a County Court under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 or under the Family Law Act Part IV. An injunction under the Family Law Act is called a Non Molestation Order and you can only get one if you are ‘associated’ with the perpetrator, for example if you were married or lived together or they were a family member. However, anyone can apply for an injunction under the Protection from Harassment Act.  

If the stalker breaches an injunction under either of the above Acts they can be imprisoned by the County Court or prosecuted and imprisoned by a criminal court.  

There are differences in the law in Scotland and we produce a separate leaflet containing information for people who reside in Scotland.  

If you are ever in immediate danger call the Police on 999